What factors can cause an outbreak of acne?

Acne outbreaks vary from person to person, and different things may trigger outbreaks for different people. Acne outbreaks can be worse during the winter than the summer, since the sun has an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin. Using oily cosmetics may also worsen acne and cause outbreaks. For women, acne outbreaks are often worse during menstruation.

Increased production of oil within the skin, often brought on by hormonal changes, can cause acne breakouts. There are other risk factors, including some medications, cosmetics, and even heredity.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Is picking my pimples really bad for my skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There is a name for the type of acne that occurs from constant picking at the lesions. It is cal...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
What Is a Blackhead?
What Is a Blackhead?