What causes severe acne?

The research into the causes of severe acne are still ongoing. There is evidence of a connection between early acne development and an increased likelihood of severe acne, though the cause is still unclear.

Severe, or cystic, acne is caused when hair follicles are blocked deep inside. Blockages are often caused by a combination of sebum (skin oil), bacteria, and dead skin. These blockages can cause painful lumps to grow under the skin's surface. Eating greasy foods does not cause acne.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
How can popping a pimple be dangerous?
If you're thinking about popping a zit, think twice, especially if it's in the triangle from the tip...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?