What causes pimples?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Pimples occur when pores become clogged with oil. Your skin naturally produces oil to keep it from drying out, but a surge of hormones can cause skin to produce too much oil. A pimple is formed when the oil mixes with dead skin cells and forms a "plug" that blocks the pore. If the plug is exposed to air it turns black, forming a blackhead. If the pore is completely blocked, a whitehead forms. Bacteria thrive on the excess oil inside the blocked pore, and when the skin tries to fight the bacteria, the pore swells and turns red. Teenagers and pregnant women are particularly vulnerable to hormonal changes and pimples.

Continue Learning about Acne

What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?
Is There a Supplement That Can Help Treat Acne?
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?