What causes acne in older women?

By thetime you get into your 40s, you want acne to be a thing of the past so you can focus on fighting wrinkles. Alas, women in their 40s break out, too.

Maybe you’ve started taking a new medicine like lithium for depression or an iodine drug for an underactive thyroid. These and some other meds, including corticosteroids, epilepsy medications, and antituberculosis drugs, can lead to skin eruptions. Tell your doctors about your reaction, so that together you can figure out a treatment plan that doesn’t interfere with your primary problem.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Acne

what are acne scars ?
Sometimes acne can leave scars on the skin. Scars can be small, deep holes, or wide, shallow indenta...
should i talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms ?
You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozin...
what are the different types of acne lesions ?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Following are the different types of acne lesions:Comedo (whiteheads or blackheads) or papules. The ...
what role does the sebaceous gland play in acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Acne occurs in areas where there is the highest density of active sebaceous glands. It is usuall...