If I use retinoids to treat my acne, can I still have my face waxed?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
It is recommended that you stop using retinoids for about 5 to 7 days before and 2 days after having lips, brows, or face waxed in order to minimize irritation and “burning” from the procedure. Even if the retinoid is being applied to only the forehead and cheeks, the skin on the upper lip can still be more sensitive to waxing or other potentially irritating procedures. However, other areas of the body that are not being treated with retinoids are not affected, eg, legs or other areas not being treated with the retinoid can undergo waxing procedures as usual.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne

What is the difference between acne and hidradenitis suppurativa?
Hidradenitis suppurativa is a severe form of acne that occurs around the armpits and groin area,...
Should I talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms?
You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozin...
What are acne scars?
Sometimes acne can leave scars on the skin. Scars can be small, deep holes, or wide, shallow indenta...
What role does the sebaceous gland play in acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Acne occurs in areas where there is the highest density of active sebaceous glands. It is usuall...