If I use retinoids to treat my acne, can I still have my face waxed?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
It is recommended that you stop using retinoids for about 5 to 7 days before and 2 days after having lips, brows, or face waxed in order to minimize irritation and “burning” from the procedure. Even if the retinoid is being applied to only the forehead and cheeks, the skin on the upper lip can still be more sensitive to waxing or other potentially irritating procedures. However, other areas of the body that are not being treated with retinoids are not affected, eg, legs or other areas not being treated with the retinoid can undergo waxing procedures as usual.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What are the latest innovations for treating acne?
Today, dermatologists most commonly focus on treating acne with a combination of medications. In...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
What Is a Blackhead?
What Is a Blackhead?