How can I deal with sun sensitivity from taking oral acne antibiotics?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Most oral antibiotics increase sun sensitivity (some more than others). Doxycycline is known to be associated with increased photosensitivity, and patients should be switched, if possible, to another antibiotic during the summer months or should be advised to use sunscreen of higher SPF and to reapply it at least every 2 hours, along with wearing a hat when possible. There are newer formulations that can be taken only once a day and have a lower incidence of causing sun sensitivity, although the risk is not eliminated and sun screen should always be used.

The minocycline family is best tolerated in those who cannot avoid sun exposure. It is always recommended that sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher be used and reapplied regularly, meaning at least every 2 hours or more often after bathing or excessive sweating.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne

Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?