Should I scrub my skin with acne?

You should not scrub your skin if you have acne. Scrubbing will not get rid of acne; it can irritate your skin and make your acne worse. Instead, use your fingertips to gently massage a mild, non-abrasive cleanser on your skin. Rinse your face with lukewarm water and pat dry. Acne, the most common skin disorder, is caused by too much sebum (oil), dead skin cells, and bacteria clogging your pores. While washing and cleansing the skin can remove the buildup of oil, hard scrubbing and rubbing acne-prone skin can worsen this condition. Talk to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in the treatment of skin, nail, and hair conditions) about proper skin care.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Is there a connection between junk food and acne?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
The relationship between diet and acne has been the subject of great debate among dermatologists for...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?