Why am I now getting acne as an adult?

First, understand that adult acne is common and its causes are multifaceted. Not having zits as a teen doesn’t confer lifelong protection. Hormones rise and fall, with pregnancy, during the various phases of menopause, and that’s just one factor that can bring on acne. As women, we tend to take responsibility for everything. We think we cause our own stress, that it’s up to us to deal with it, and, if we don’t, it’s our own fault. Same with acne: We think we’re doing something to cause it. Not likely. Instead, focus on doing something to cure it and prevent it. Much smarter.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Rather than occurring in the teen years, and fading in the 20s, adult onset acne begins for people after they have fully reached adulthood. It can be caused by many factors including environmental factors, hormonal changes, and other medical conditions.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
If I have dark skin, should I be more concerned about scars from acne?
People who have darker skin may experience dark spots once acne clears up. These spots are not s...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?