Is it safe to use a sunless tanning product with acne?

A sunless tanning lotion may be used if you have acne. However, be sure to use a tanning lotion that does not trigger breakouts. Choose a sunless tanner that is oil free and does not clog pores. The label should state "noncomedogenic" or "nonacnegenic," which means not likely to cause comedones (a medical term describing pimples). Also, be sure the sunless tanning lotion is made to use on the face before you apply it. Because acne tends to darken the skin, use the sunless tanner sparingly on skin with acne breakouts or acne scars. Most importantly, be aware that sunless tanning lotions do not protect your skin from the sun's damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays. You will need to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen that gives you protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Sunscreens are the mainstay of sunburn prevention. These topical agents protect the skin by absorbing, scattering, or reflecting ultraviolet radiation and visible light. Experts recommend using a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. To find out what's best for acne-prone skin, talk to your doctor before applying a sunless tanning lotion.

Continue Learning about Acne

If I have dark skin, should I be more concerned about scars from acne?
People who have darker skin may experience dark spots once acne clears up. These spots are not s...
What does non-acnegenic mean?
Non-acnegenic means that a product is formulated to be less likely to cause acne or make it wors...
How are blemishes on my chin related to my hormones?
Pimples on your chin can be related to changing hormone levels within your body and to touching ...
What is the most common form of acne?
Gary Goldenberg, MDGary Goldenberg, MD
The most common form of acne is comedonal and inflammatory. In general, acne can be broken down in 4...