Is acne a serious health threat to my health?

Acne isn't a serious health threat unless there are unusual complications. If your acne causes you severe emotional distress, for example, you may be at risk for depression and anxiety that could undermine your psychological well-being. If fever, joint pain, or muscle symptoms accompany an outbreak of severe, ulcerating acne, it may be a rare disease called acne fulminans, which mainly affects young men. Scratching pimples can cause a break in the skin that allows bacteria to enter. For this reason, any bumps that become unusually painful, warm to the touch, hard or swollen may signal a staph infection and require immediate treatment. Since hormones influence the development of acne, the condition may also be a sign of a more complicated hormonal imbalance.

Seek a physician’s assistance for medical concerns.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
How do I treat blackheads?
Popping a blackhead can actually affect your brain. Learn a better way to treat blackheads in th...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?