Is a pimple an infection?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

All types of pimples are caused when skin oil, called sebum, and dead skin cells clog pores. When this happens, bacteria that normally live on your skin (called P. acnes) may rapidly increase in number inside the clogged pore, causing the pore to become inflamed.

When inflammation reaches deep into the skin, an acne cyst forms. This is the most severe type of acne. Cysts can be very painful. People often see permanent scarring after this type of acne heals.

Continue Learning about Acne

6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout. Weighed down with acne woes? You’re not alone. A whopping 40 to 50 million ...
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?