How can touching my skin affect my acne?

Touching your skin often can cause acne or make it worse. Acne is caused by excess sebum (oil), bacteria, and dead skin cells clogging your pores. Constantly touching your skin deposits more oil and bacteria from your fingers to your skin. If you are acne-prone, have a hands-off policy -- no fingers on your face. Acne is the most common skin disorder and causes red pimples on the face, neck, shoulders, and back. It can be treated with good skin care and a combination of over-the-counter and prescription medications. Avoid any activities such as constant touching and rubbing your skin that may irritate it and make acne worse.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
How is adult acne different from teen acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The acne that occurs in adults often has a different distribution than it does in teenage acne. ...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Common Is Adult Acne?
How Common Is Adult Acne?