How can tea tree oil be used to treat acne?

Tea tree oil can be applied to the skin in a diluted form to treat acne. It has the ability to penetrate comedones (blackheads and whiteheads) and kill the bacteria within that are responsible for the inflammation seen in acne. Tea tree oil can irritate the skin, however, especially in people with eczema. Therefore, it should be used sparingly at first or avoided if you have sensitive skin.

Many swear by the bacteria-fighting, anti-acne action of tea tree oil. If the pure oil irritates your skin, try diluting it with a bit of water.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Should I scrub my skin with acne?
You should not scrub your skin if you have acne. Scrubbing will not get rid of acne; it can irri...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?