How can oily skin creams affect my acne?

Oily skin creams can make your acne worse. Acne is caused by excess sebum (oil), bacteria, and dead skin cells clogging your pores. Once the pores are clogged, they produce small, red pimples or lesions. Using oily skin creams adds more oil to an already oily skin condition. The added creams can further clog pores and worsen your acne. Look for oil-free skin creams that won't clog your pores. These products are usually labeled as "non-comedogenic" or "non-acnegenic." Acne products vary, so choose the one that is most appropriate for your skin type and condition.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Is picking my pimples really bad for my skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There is a name for the type of acne that occurs from constant picking at the lesions. It is cal...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Common Is Adult Acne?
How Common Is Adult Acne?