How do I manage the dry skin and other side effects of acne medications?

You can manage the dry skin and other side effects of acne medication with daily skin care. Wash your face twice a day with a mild, non-abrasive cleanser. Find a product that is oil-free and doesn't clog your pores. Gently massage the cleanser on your skin with your fingertips. Avoid scrubbing or rubbing too hard. Then rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry. If you are taking medication for acne, try to use the lowest dosage possible to see how it will affect your skin. Avoid putting the lotions and creams around your eyes and mouth because these areas are delicate and more sensitive. If the lower dose of acne medicine does not work after four to six weeks, talk to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in treating skin, nail, and hair conditions) about increasing the dose.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
How do I treat blackheads?
Popping a blackhead can actually affect your brain. Learn a better way to treat blackheads in th...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?