How does stress affect acne?

Stress turns on inflammatory pathways that result in breakouts. Genetics, menstruation, a new medication, the occasional irritating cosmetic can also contribute to acne, but stress is by far the most influential factor. Stressed or not, pimples appear when pores get clogged with skin cells that haven’t sloughed off the way they should. What happens is the dead cells on your skin’s surface get sticky, lining the follicle and clogging it up. Underneath is your sebum, where bacteria show up for an oily meal, creating more inflammation. At the same time, immune system cells swarm in to deal with the mess.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Stress may be related to acne, but as with everything related to acne, it depends on the individual person. The body responds to stress by producing certain hormones. Some of these hormones, especially androgens, not only respond to stress but also stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce more oil. Excess oil may make it more likely for pores to become clogged, resulting in an acne outbreak. Stress may also cause the body to heal more slowly, which makes pimples last longer.

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology
Many patients complain that stress triggers their acne. Recent studies have confirmed that work-related stress and personal stress do exacerbate acne. In stressful situations, the adrenal gland produces the hormone cortisol. Cortisol triggers sebaceous glands to produce more oils causing acne flare ups. Stress also promotes inflammation making acne worse. Accordingly, as part of a comprehensive treatment plan for acne stress relieving techniques like yoga and meditation can be helpful. 

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Should I talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms?
Severe acne can cause both physical and emotional symptoms, so it is critical that treatment be ...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?