How does a dermatologist diagnose acne?

Acne is one of the easiest diagnoses for a dermatologist to make.  The most common location is the face, but sometimes it occurs on the upper back, chest, and shoulders.

What the doctor will look for are the following: (1) non-inflamed lesions called comedones, which include clogged pores and blackheads; and (2) inflamed lesions that are commonly know as zits, pimples, and cysts, but in medical terms are called papules, pustules, and nodules.  

Your doctor will make a diagnosis of acne if you have any combination of these skin lesions on the typical body sites.

A dermatologist will be able to diagnose acne through a visual inspection and an interview. Through a series of basic questions and a physical examination, the dermatologist can typically determine the severity and plan for a course of treatment.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
How can tea tree oil be used to treat acne?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Many swear by the bacteria-fighting, anti-acne action of tea tree oil. If the pure oil irritates you...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout. Weighed down with acne woes? You’re not alone. A whopping 40 to 50 million p...
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?