How does cortisol affect acne formation?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
When the body is under stress, from fear of an approaching perceived physical or emotional danger, it releases a hormone called cortisol. This hormone helps us through whatever situation is at hand, but it does so at a price. Cortisol also leads to suppression of the immune system, which gives Propionibacterium acnes an opportunity to flourish, leading to a flare of inflammatory acne in some people.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne

Is There a Supplement That Can Help Treat Acne?
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?