How common is severe acne among adults?

Severe acne can occur in adult men and women, but it's relatively rare. One study in the United Kingdom of more than 1,000 men and women over age 18 found that fewer than 1% had acne severe enough to cause scars. Of course, plenty of people experience milder breakouts well into adulthood. But here's one benefit of aging: Acne flare-ups are unusual after age 60.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Is picking my pimples really bad for my skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There is a name for the type of acne that occurs from constant picking at the lesions. It is cal...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?