How should I choose a moisturizer if I'm treating my acne?

The best types of moisturizers to use with acne are oil-free moisturizers that will not clog your pores. Moisturizers that are labeled non-acnegenic or non-comedogenic are less likely to irritate your skin and are less likely to trigger more acne lesions. The ingredients in the over-the-counter (OTC) products vary, so choose an oil-free moisturizer that is appropriate for your skin condition and type.
Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Many moisturizers are available, the vast majority of which are over the counter. In choosing a moisturizer that is right for you, look for one that is designed specifically for the face, if this is the area that needs moisture, and look for one that has an SPF of 15 or higher if you are using it in the morning. In this way you can address two important issues at once: You can moisturize your skin, and you can protect it from the damaging rays of the sun, the effects of which may be magnified by the acne regimen that you are on. Look for moisturizers with “nonacnegenic” or “noncomedogenic” written on the label or packaging.

Finding the right moisturizer can be an ordeal of trial and error. I usually recommend that people use a moisturizer that is more rich and creamy at night because there is greater water loss from the skin at night and a lighter cream or lotion in the morning, with an SPF, of course.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
How common is adult acne?
Acne affects everyone sooner or later. In this video, Dr. Oz's expert, dermatologist  Dr. Tanzi,...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
What Is a Blackhead?
What Is a Blackhead?