How can adult acne affect me emotionally?

Even though you may not be as emotional as you were at 13, acne may have a profound impact on your self-esteem and confidence. Your face is your most important feature, and it’s usually the site where acne can be particularly troubling. We put our best foot forward, but we also try to put our best face forward when we present ourselves to the world, to our lovers, our bosses, our friends, our family, our coworkers, and ourselves in the mirror. It’s no secret that our facial appearance is closely tied to body image. Let’s not forget that dealing with acne can be an incredibly stressful and painful experience in more ways than one. The ultimate fallout from prolonged suffering from acne can be devastating as one becomes socially dysfunctional. The emotional toll, from depression, anger, frustration, anxiety, and embarrassment, can be overwhelming.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
If I have dark skin, should I be more concerned about scars from acne?
People who have darker skin may experience dark spots once acne clears up. These spots are not s...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?