How are blemishes on my chin related to my hormones?

Pimples on your chin can be related to changing hormone levels within your body and to touching your skin. Persistent adult-onset acne -- which occurs when people are in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s -- usually appears on the lower face, including the chin. Women are at higher risk for this type of acne because their hormone levels can fluctuate with their menstrual cycle, pregnancy, and menopause. In addition, putting your hands on your chin can irritate your skin, increase sebum (an oily substance produced by the skin's sebaceous glands), and add certain germs such as Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) to your skin. If the skin has too many dead skin cells and too much oil, the skin pores can get plugged. When bacteria increase and settle inside the plugged pores, it causes inflammation, redness, and raised bumps or pimples.

Continue Learning about Acne

Should I scrub my skin with acne?
You should not scrub your skin if you have acne. Scrubbing will not get rid of acne; it can irri...
What is a safe way to pop a pimple?
Pimples are formed because the body is trying to push out infections. However, squeezing pimples act...
What is a pimple?
A pimple forms when hair follicles get clogged by oil and fill with pus. Hair grows from a deep foll...
What type of facial moisturizer should I use for oily, acne prone skin?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
The American Academy of Dermatology says that if you’re prone to breakouts, oil-based moisturize...