How can acne scars affect my emotional health?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
For the lucky majority, acne scarring is a minor annoyance, obvious to the one affected yet difficult for others to see. For some, however, acne scarring can cause devastating long-term emotional suffering. Teens may deal with depression, become withdrawn and lose self-confidence. (In fact, acne scarring has been cited as a risk factor for male suicide.)

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What is a blackhead?
Blackheads occur when bacteria get into the skin and is exposed to air, turning the pimple black...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?