Can using hair products that are oily or greasy cause acne?

Certain hair products are comedogenic (meaning they can clog pores) and can cause acne. Pomade acne is a type of acne that typically occurs on the forehead, temples, and scalp of people who style their hair with pomades. People who are acne-prone and who want to use pomades should apply the product to the ends of the hair only, or apply it an inch behind the hairline, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Consult your dermatologist for tips on which hair products to avoid if you have acne.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
How is adult acne different from teen acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The acne that occurs in adults often has a different distribution than it does in teenage acne. ...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?