Can using hair products that are oily or greasy cause acne?

Certain hair products are comedogenic (meaning they can clog pores) and can cause acne. Pomade acne is a type of acne that typically occurs on the forehead, temples, and scalp of people who style their hair with pomades. People who are acne-prone and who want to use pomades should apply the product to the ends of the hair only, or apply it an inch behind the hairline, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Consult your dermatologist for tips on which hair products to avoid if you have acne.

Continue Learning about Acne

Is picking my pimples really bad for my skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There is a name for the type of acne that occurs from constant picking at the lesions. It is cal...
How can popping a pimple be dangerous?
If you're thinking about popping a zit, think twice, especially if it's in the triangle from the tip...
Is there a connection between stress and acne?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
There have been several studies showing that stress can cause acne.  A study of teens showed that ac...
How common is severe acne among teenagers?
Few youths escape their teen years without a pimple or two, but only a small number develop seve...