What can I expect from a hormone evaluation for acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The screening usually involves a physical exam by the doctor and a series of blood tests to measure specific levels of hormones in the blood. These screening tests are timed to correlate with a certain phase of the menstrual cycle and are usually done within 2 weeks before the next menstrual cycle begins. People on oral contraceptive pills should discontinue the medication for at least 1 month before testing. These tests are designed to try to pinpoint the source of the increased androgen production so that appropriate therapy can be instituted.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Should I squeeze zits?
The best advice for evacuating "zits" would be to have a licensed aesthetician perform a facial. Squ...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Do I Treat Blackheads?
How Do I Treat Blackheads?