What can I expect from a hormone evaluation for acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The screening usually involves a physical exam by the doctor and a series of blood tests to measure specific levels of hormones in the blood. These screening tests are timed to correlate with a certain phase of the menstrual cycle and are usually done within 2 weeks before the next menstrual cycle begins. People on oral contraceptive pills should discontinue the medication for at least 1 month before testing. These tests are designed to try to pinpoint the source of the increased androgen production so that appropriate therapy can be instituted.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne

What are the different types of acne lesions?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Following are the different types of acne lesions:Comedo (whiteheads or blackheads) or papules. The ...
Should I scrub my skin with acne?
You should not scrub your skin if you have acne. Scrubbing will not get rid of acne; it can irri...
Why did all these bumps suddenly form on my face?
A sudden arrival of a lot of bumpy formations on your face could be an outbreak of acne. This skin...
Is picking my pimples really bad for my skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There is a name for the type of acne that occurs from constant picking at the lesions. It is cal...