Does puberty cause acne?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Acne occurs when bacteria, skin oil, and hormones interact to cause pimples on the face and upper body. Acne occurs most frequently during puberty because of increased hormone levels. Many teens experience mild acne that can be treated by washing infected locations twice a day with mild soap. This condition often clears up as individuals get older. Medications and topical ointments are available for people who have more severe acne. Contact your doctor of dermatologist for more information.
Judy Caplan
Puberty plays a role in acne. During puberty your hormones cause the oil glands to be over active. This over production can cause pores to clog and form a pustule or pimple. Most teens do experience some acne but some get it worse than others. If you have cystic acne or deep nodular acne it is important to seek the help of a dermatologist. He or she can prescribe medication to help control its severity. Often during puberty, teens eat a lot of junk food. There is concern that the hydrogenated highly heated oils play a role in exacerbating the severity of acne. Eating more plant based foods may help control adolescent acne.

Continue Learning about Acne

When should I worry about a few pimples?
A true pimple -- sometimes called a zit -- is an inflamed growth on the skin that's caused by ac...
Should I talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms?
You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozin...
What is severe acne?
The most severe form of acne is cystic acne. With cystic acne, inflammation causes red, pus-filled l...
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?