Is acne caused by bad hygiene?

Breakouts begin in our hair follicles when the hormone testosterone causes the follicles to make more oil than usual. This oil, called sebum, pushes toward the surface of the skin, carrying cells with it. These cells tend to clump together, which means that instead of washing out of the pore in your skin, they clog it. Bacteria heads for the clogged pore, and that's where your pimple forms.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Is a pimple an infection?
A pimple is a type of small local infection. When a hair follicle is blocked by oil and dead skin ce...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?