Do teenagers grow out of acne?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Most of the time, teens do grow out of acne. Teenagers are more at risk for developing acne during puberty because hormone levels are changing drastically. Once teens have gone through puberty and hormone levels are more stable-usually by a person's early 20s-acne goes away. However, some situations after a person's teenage years, such as pregnancy or steroid use, may cause acne to reappear.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Yes, there is a very good chance that teenagers will outgrow acne. Most acne teens get is called acne vulgaris, meaning "of the common type", and the most likely trigger is the hormonal change that happens during puberty. So, as a teenager's hormonal changes come to an end there's a good chance the acne will also.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout. Weighed down with acne woes? You’re not alone. A whopping 40 to 50 million ...
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?