Do hormones cause acne?

No one is sure what causes acne, but hormones appear to play a supporting role. Hormones can trigger acne when the sebaceous (oil-making) glands in the skin ramp up, producing too much sebum that mixes with debris and bacteria and can clog pores. Acne also tends to affect people with certain hormonal conditions, such as polycystic ovary syndrome. In addition, acne is more common during adolescence, pregnancy, and certain times in women’s menstrual cycle, when hormones are more likely to fluctuate.

Continue Learning about Acne

What is the difference between acne and hidradenitis suppurativa?
Hidradenitis suppurativa is a severe form of acne that occurs around the armpits and groin area,...
Why are pimples red?
The redness of a pimple is due to inflammation below the skin’s surface. The inflammation is the res...
How common is acne?
Susan V. Bershad, MDSusan V. Bershad, MD
Acne is the most common skin disorder of teenagers, affecting about 85% of Americans at some time be...
When should I call my doctor if I have acne?
You should call a doctor about your acne if it does not go away after several months of good ski...