What are the different types of acne lesions?

Following are the different types of acne lesions:

Comedo (whiteheads or blackheads) or papules. The comedo is the basic acne lesion, which is a plugged pore. If the plugged pore stays under the skin, it is called a closed comedo and forms a white bump or whitehead. Blackheads are comedos that open up and appear blackish on the surface of the skin. This black color is not due to dirt, but because the air reacts with the excess oil. Pustules or pimples. Pustules or pimples are acne lesions that contain pus and are red at the base. Nodules. These are more serious acne lesions. They lodge deeper in the skin, are painful, and can cause scarring. Cysts. Like nodules, these lesions are deep within in the skin, are painful, and are filled with pus, and can cause scarring.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Acne

What do acne scars look like?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
All acne scars are not alike. A forceful inflammatory response can have two results. The most co...
Should I talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms?
You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozin...
What are inflammatory acne lesions?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
All acne lesions start as a microcomedo. This consists of a microscopic plug of the follicle. The di...
Why did all these bumps suddenly form on my face?
A sudden arrival of a lot of bumpy formations on your face could be an outbreak of acne. This skin...