What are the different types of acne lesions?

Acne can take many forms including white/blackheads, raised bumps known as papules, red bumps called pustules (due to white pus at the tip), and more serious forms such as nodules or cysts.

Following are the different types of acne lesions:

Comedo (whiteheads or blackheads) or papules. The comedo is the basic acne lesion, which is a plugged pore. If the plugged pore stays under the skin, it is called a closed comedo and forms a white bump or whitehead. Blackheads are comedos that open up and appear blackish on the surface of the skin. This black color is not due to dirt, but because the air reacts with the excess oil. Pustules or pimples. Pustules or pimples are acne lesions that contain pus and are red at the base. Nodules. These are more serious acne lesions. They lodge deeper in the skin, are painful, and can cause scarring. Cysts. Like nodules, these lesions are deep within in the skin, are painful, and are filled with pus, and can cause scarring.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Is acne a serious health threat to my health?
Acne isn't a serious health threat unless there are unusual complications. If your acne causes you s...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Do I Treat Blackheads?
How Do I Treat Blackheads?