What's the difference between inflammatory acne and noninflammatory acne?

Dermatologists classify acne as inflammatory or non-inflammatory depending on how inflamed the skin eruptions are. Most people have the non-inflammatory type, which is made up of whiteheads and blackheads. In both cases, the pore is simply blocked with oil where bacteria can thrive. When the pore is closed, it is called a whitehead; when it is open, it is a blackhead.

Inflammatory acne means that the clogged pores are infected with bacteria and have turned into papules (pimples that don’t contain pus), pustules (pimples that contain pus), or cysts (inflammatory nodules). When the bacteria multiply and the immune system fights back, the affected skin tissue also reddens and swells.

Continue Learning about Acne

How does acne affect women?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Most young women and men will have at least a few pimples over the course of their lives. But acne s...
Should I talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms?
You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozin...
How can popping a pimple be dangerous?
If you're thinking about popping a zit, think twice, especially if it's in the triangle from the tip...
What’s the difference between acne and rosacea?
Acne and rosacea may look similar, but some important differences set them apart. Acne can cause...