Should I talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms?

You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozing, you may have severe acne, and you should talk to your health care provider. Your family doctor may refer you to a dermatologist, a doctor who specializes in skin disorders. You may need a prescription medication or in-office treatment to treat your severe acne.

Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD
Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease)
Severe acne can cause both physical and emotional symptoms, so it is critical that treatment be supervised by a medical professional. You should consult a dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Read More
How are blemishes on my chin related to my hormones?
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MDDr. Mehmet Oz, MD
Pimples on your chin can be related to changing hormone levels within your body and to touching ...
More Answers
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Start Slideshow
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.