Should I talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms?

You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozing, you may have severe acne, and you should talk to your health care provider. Your family doctor may refer you to a dermatologist, a doctor who specializes in skin disorders. You may need a prescription medication or in-office treatment to treat your severe acne.

Severe acne can cause both physical and emotional symptoms, so it is critical that treatment be supervised by a medical professional. You should consult a dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
How are blemishes on my chin related to my hormones?
Pimples on your chin can be related to changing hormone levels within your body and to touching ...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?