What is a “comedo,” and what does it have to do with acne?

A comedo is not a karate move, but that doesn’t stop us from attacking it with a vengeance. A comedo (plural comedones) is a small bump on the skin that can be black or white, large or small, one or many that typically occurs on the forehead and chin. It is a plug of sebum, the oily substance that is produced by glands in your skin, with a little skin protein and dead skin cells mixed in. If it is open, it is called a blackhead (open comedo), and if it is closed, it is a whitehead (closed comedo). Did you know that the black isn’t actually dirt? It’s a mixture of keratin and sebum that darkens as it oxidizes.

Comedones are different from acne in that the surrounding tissue doesn’t become inflamed or contain pus or bacteria. However, the bumps occur because of the same, frustrating problem: a pore plugged with sebum.

Continue Learning about Acne

how is adult acne different from teen acne ?
Even though acne is typically thought of as a teen problem, adults-especially women in their 20s, 30...
should i talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms ?
You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozin...
What the best way to clean off makeup at the end of the day ?
how does salicylic acid treat acne ?
how does salicylic acid treat acne ?