Can pollution cause acne?

Do you really have to worry that your urban life could be giving you acne, too? Air researchers who’ve looked at mouse skin speculate that ozone and other common air pollutants, like nitric oxide, might make skin more susceptible to allergies and irritation. Of course, it’s a huge leap from irritated mouse skin to human acne.

Here’s what we do know: If you’re a city dweller like me, it makes sense to be extra careful about protecting your skin from UV light, because it reacts with air pollution in ways we’re still learning about. On the other hand, if you have acne, don’t assume that city air is making your face extra dirty and that you have to super-clean it. Overscrubbing is a good way to intensify your acne.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Acne

What is acne vulgaris?
Joshua A. Zeichner, MDJoshua A. Zeichner, MD
Acne vulgaris is the medical term for common acne.
What are the different types of acne lesions?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Following are the different types of acne lesions:Comedo (whiteheads or blackheads) or papules. The ...
What is acne?
Acne is a skin condition that includes pimples and cysts found most often on the face, back, and che...
Should I talk to my doctor about my severe acne symptoms?
You may be able to treat mild cases of acne at home. But if your acne is painful, inflamed, or oozin...