My acne is depressing me – can anything help?

Studies confirm that acne that resists treatment can often cause mild or moderate depression. In addition to topical cleansers and treatment creams, which typically include benzoyl peroxide and/or salicylic acid, retinoids and sulfur, doctors will sometimes prescribe oral contraceptives and antibiotics. If you have one bothersome inflamed pimple, the dermatologist will sometimes inject it with a cortisone shot.
Painful persistent acne can also be treated with new lasers and photodynamic therapy or PDT, which also helps to treat bacteria associated with acne. Talk to a dermatologist in order to create a personalized acne prevention and treatment plan.

Continue Learning about Acne

What do I need to know about caring for someone with severe acne?
If you care for a teenager or anyone else who has severe acne, bring him or her to a doctor for ...
What’s the difference between acne and rosacea?
Acne and rosacea may look similar, but some important differences set them apart. Acne can cause...
How can tea tree oil be used to treat acne?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Many swear by the bacteria-fighting, anti-acne action of tea tree oil. If the pure oil irritates you...
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?