Why is beta-hydroxy acid used for acne-prone skin?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Beta-hydroxy acid, or BHA, is different from other exfoliants in that it's oil-soluble. Since it can dissolve in oil, it can get inside oil-clogged pores (clogged pores are a cause of acne and blackheads) and remove dead skin cells to help unclog them.

Continue Learning about Acne

How is adult acne different from teen acne?
Even though acne is typically thought of as a teen problem, adults-especially women in their 20s, 30...
What is a closed comedo?
A closed comedo is a raised, clogged pore. The plural of comedo is comedones, and they are also ...
Why should I avoid scrubbing my skin with acne?
Proper skincare each day is important in managing acne and preventing flare-ups, but avoid scrub...
What is adult-onset acne, and why do I have to deal with it?
Rather than occurring in the teen years, and fading in the 20s, adult onset acne begins for peop...