Why is beta-hydroxy acid used for acne-prone skin?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Beta-hydroxy acid, or BHA, is different from other exfoliants in that it's oil-soluble. Since it can dissolve in oil, it can get inside oil-clogged pores (clogged pores are a cause of acne and blackheads) and remove dead skin cells to help unclog them.

Beta hydroxy acid (BHA) gets rid of acne by penetrating more deeply into pores to break the bonds keeping dead skin cells glued within. It’s lipophilic, which means it can get through acne-producing oil build-up. One of the most familiar acne-fighters, salicylic acid is one type of beta hydroxy. It is both antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, hitting zits on multiple fronts, as well we preventing future breakouts if used regularly.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What role does the sebaceous gland play in acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Acne occurs in areas where there is the highest density of active sebaceous glands. It is usuall...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?