Can babies get acne?

If you see those pesky pimples and pustules erupting on your newborns’ cute little nose or chubby cheeks, don’t fret, they are not going through puberty yet. Infants get acne on their nose, cheeks and chin because hormones that they were exposed to during pregnancy wane. These pimples usually go away in a few weeks without treatment as their bodies adjust, so you might want to wait to schedule those headshots. True acne is rare in infants and can signal a hormonal condition.
Eliza Parker
Eliza Parker on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
Yes, babies can get acne and about 1 in 5 newborns get what is called “baby acne”. Baby acne is generally more common in baby boys compared to baby girls and usually appears around 3-4 weeks of life, although some babies can have it right at birth! Most baby acne completely resolves by 4 to 6 months of age. When a baby cries, is fussy or is hot the blood supply to the face can increase causing the blemishes to appear worse. The most common cause of baby acne is likely due to the hormones passed through the placenta near the time of delivery from the mother to the baby. These hormones are important for the baby’s lungs to mature but can sometimes stimulate a baby’s oil glands leading to acne in the first month of life. Baby acne is not dangerous and should resolve with no intervention except gentle cleansing with a mild soap.

Continue Learning about Acne

6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout. Weighed down with acne woes? You’re not alone. A whopping 40 to 50 million ...
Is There a Supplement That Can Help Treat Acne?
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?