Is acne more common during PMS?

Women who experience premenstrual syndrome (PMS) may also be more prone to acne due to shifting hormones during the menstrual cycle. The same reproductive hormones that control the menstrual cycle also trigger glands in the skin to ramp up the production of oil that can clog pores and lead to acne.

Although many people think PMS consists mainly of symptoms like depression, irritability, and mood swings, women with PMS may develop many physical symptoms, too, including headaches, tiredness, bloating, and acne. These symptoms are likely triggered by menstrual cycle hormone levels that rise and fall before, during, and after ovulation. Many women with PMS notice acne flare-ups shortly before their periods.

Continue Learning about Acne

How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
Is There a Supplement That Can Help Treat Acne?
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?