Is acne more common during PMS?

Women who experience premenstrual syndrome (PMS) may also be more prone to acne due to shifting hormones during the menstrual cycle. The same reproductive hormones that control the menstrual cycle also trigger glands in the skin to ramp up the production of oil that can clog pores and lead to acne.

Although many people think PMS consists mainly of symptoms like depression, irritability, and mood swings, women with PMS may develop many physical symptoms, too, including headaches, tiredness, bloating, and acne. These symptoms are likely triggered by menstrual cycle hormone levels that rise and fall before, during, and after ovulation. Many women with PMS notice acne flare-ups shortly before their periods.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What is a whitehead with acne?
A whitehead is an acne lesion that forms when excess oil and dead skin cells clog your pores and...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?