Do I have acne because I don't wash my face much?

Unwashed skin does not cause acne. Acne tends to develop when oil that your body makes combines with dead skin cells and other debris to clog pores, creating a haven for bacteria. Still, washing regularly is one way to keep acne in check. Skin is healthiest when it isn't too oily or too dry, so finding a cleansing routine that keeps skin oil in balance will help. It's best to wash the face gently with a mild cleanser once in the morning and before bed, and after sweating. Too frequent washing or scrubbing is likely to make acne worse.

Continue Learning about Acne

Why is beta-hydroxy acid used for acne-prone skin?
Beta-hydroxy acid, or BHA, is different from other exfoliants in that it's oil-soluble. Since it can...
Should I scrub my skin with acne?
You should not scrub your skin if you have acne. Scrubbing will not get rid of acne; it can irri...
How can tea tree oil be used to treat acne?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Many swear by the bacteria-fighting, anti-acne action of tea tree oil. If the pure oil irritates you...
Can people in their 30s and 40s get acne?
People in their 30s and 40s can get acne, a condition referred to as adult acne. Adult acne may ...