Do I have acne because I don't wash my face much?

Unwashed skin does not cause acne. Acne tends to develop when oil that your body makes combines with dead skin cells and other debris to clog pores, creating a haven for bacteria. Still, washing regularly is one way to keep acne in check. Skin is healthiest when it isn't too oily or too dry, so finding a cleansing routine that keeps skin oil in balance will help. It's best to wash the face gently with a mild cleanser once in the morning and before bed, and after sweating. Too frequent washing or scrubbing is likely to make acne worse.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Why are pimples red?
Susan V. Bershad, MDSusan V. Bershad, MD
The redness you see in pimples comes from an increase in the local blood circulation, which is cause...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?