Acne doesn't cause depression directly, but it can affect how people feel about themselves. Recent studies, in fact, have linked depression and suicidal thoughts to teens with severe acne. Since acne tends to erupt during puberty, when teens are often self-conscious about their appearance, young people with acne may be particularly vulnerable. Some become embarrassed, withdrawn, or depressed; others may be bullied, especially if the severity of the acne makes it disfiguring.
- Q How does my skin cleansing routine affect my acne?
- Q How does severe acne affect the body?
- Q How can acne scars affect my emotional health?
- Q How can I help my teen's severe acne?
- Q How can adult acne affect me emotionally?
- Q How can I choose the best cosmetics that won't trigger my acne?