Acne doesn't cause depression directly, but it can affect how people feel about themselves. Recent studies, in fact, have linked depression and suicidal thoughts to teens with severe acne. Since acne tends to erupt during puberty, when teens are often self-conscious about their appearance, young people with acne may be particularly vulnerable. Some become embarrassed, withdrawn, or depressed; others may be bullied, especially if the severity of the acne makes it disfiguring.
- Q How should an athlete take care of his skin if he has acne?
- Q How can I choose the best cosmetics that won't trigger my acne?
- Q How can I feel confident when I get pimples with PMS?
- Q How can touching my skin affect my acne?
- Q What should I know about using a facial mask if I have acne?
- Q How do I manage the dry skin and other side effects of acne medications?