Acne doesn't cause depression directly, but it can affect how people feel about themselves. Recent studies, in fact, have linked depression and suicidal thoughts to teens with severe acne. Since acne tends to erupt during puberty, when teens are often self-conscious about their appearance, young people with acne may be particularly vulnerable. Some become embarrassed, withdrawn, or depressed; others may be bullied, especially if the severity of the acne makes it disfiguring.
- Q How does severe acne affect the body?
- Q How should I choose a moisturizer if I'm treating my acne?
- Q How can touching my skin affect my acne?
- Q How does my skin cleansing routine affect my acne?
- Q What should I know about using an astringent if I have acne?
- Q How will time in the sun or tanning salon affect my acne and skin health?