Acne doesn't cause depression directly, but it can affect how people feel about themselves. Recent studies, in fact, have linked depression and suicidal thoughts to teens with severe acne. Since acne tends to erupt during puberty, when teens are often self-conscious about their appearance, young people with acne may be particularly vulnerable. Some become embarrassed, withdrawn, or depressed; others may be bullied, especially if the severity of the acne makes it disfiguring.
- Q How can I deal with sun sensitivity from taking oral acne antibiotics?
- Q Does stress cause acne or does acne cause stress?
- Q My acne is depressing me – can anything help?
- Q How do I manage the dry skin and other side effects of acne medications?
- Q If I use retinoids to treat my acne, can I still have my face waxed?
- Q Why could mild acne cause anxiety and depression?