Acne doesn't cause depression directly, but it can affect how people feel about themselves. Recent studies, in fact, have linked depression and suicidal thoughts to teens with severe acne. Since acne tends to erupt during puberty, when teens are often self-conscious about their appearance, young people with acne may be particularly vulnerable. Some become embarrassed, withdrawn, or depressed; others may be bullied, especially if the severity of the acne makes it disfiguring.
- Q How can I deal with sun sensitivity from taking oral acne antibiotics?
- Q How can I help my teenager cope with her acne?
- Q What can I do to manage my acne?
- Q How can I choose the best cosmetics that won't trigger my acne?
- Q What should I know about using sunscreen if I have blackheads?
- Q How can adult acne affect me emotionally?