Acne doesn't cause depression directly, but it can affect how people feel about themselves. Recent studies, in fact, have linked depression and suicidal thoughts to teens with severe acne. Since acne tends to erupt during puberty, when teens are often self-conscious about their appearance, young people with acne may be particularly vulnerable. Some become embarrassed, withdrawn, or depressed; others may be bullied, especially if the severity of the acne makes it disfiguring.
- Q My acne is depressing me – can anything help?
- Q How should a guy shave when he has acne?
- Q How does severe acne affect the body?
- Q Which concealers and foundations camouflage pimples?
- Q How can I feel confident when I get pimples with PMS?
- Q How can tanning beds affect acne?