Acne doesn't cause depression directly, but it can affect how people feel about themselves. Recent studies, in fact, have linked depression and suicidal thoughts to teens with severe acne. Since acne tends to erupt during puberty, when teens are often self-conscious about their appearance, young people with acne may be particularly vulnerable. Some become embarrassed, withdrawn, or depressed; others may be bullied, especially if the severity of the acne makes it disfiguring.
- Q How can acne treatment help me reclaim my self-esteem?
- Q What should I know about using sunscreen if I have blackheads?
- Q How should an athlete take care of his skin if he has acne?
- Q How can tanning beds affect acne?
- Q How does my skin cleansing routine affect my acne?
- Q How will time in the sun or tanning salon affect my acne and skin health?