Acne doesn't cause depression directly, but it can affect how people feel about themselves. Recent studies, in fact, have linked depression and suicidal thoughts to teens with severe acne. Since acne tends to erupt during puberty, when teens are often self-conscious about their appearance, young people with acne may be particularly vulnerable. Some become embarrassed, withdrawn, or depressed; others may be bullied, especially if the severity of the acne makes it disfiguring.
- Q What should I know about using sunscreen if I have blackheads?
- Q How can I deal with sun sensitivity from taking oral acne antibiotics?
- Q How can acne scars affect my emotional health?
- Q How can I help my teen's severe acne?
- Q What should I know about using a facial mask if I have acne?
- Q Does good hygiene help in managing acne?