Acne doesn't cause depression directly, but it can affect how people feel about themselves. Recent studies, in fact, have linked depression and suicidal thoughts to teens with severe acne. Since acne tends to erupt during puberty, when teens are often self-conscious about their appearance, young people with acne may be particularly vulnerable. Some become embarrassed, withdrawn, or depressed; others may be bullied, especially if the severity of the acne makes it disfiguring.
- Q What should I look for in a soap if I have oily skin and acne?
- Q If I use retinoids to treat my acne, can I still have my face waxed?
- Q Does good hygiene help in managing acne?
- Q What should I know about using a skin toner with acne?
- Q How can tanning beds affect acne?
- Q How does severe acne affect the body?