Why do acne scars happen and how can I prevent them?

Doctors are not certain as to why acne scars form for some and not others. They believe family history may be an indicator, but that has not been firmly concluded. The best option is to work to treat the scars early if they do happen to form. While all women are beautiful in their own way, if you are considering a cosmetic procedure to treat acne scars, you should consult a professional like a dermatologist for questions about which one is right for you.
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
One of our goals in medical acne treatment is to prevent scarring, but the inflammation and trauma generated by acne often leave scars behind. Do not make them worse by overusing products that will irritate the skin. Stick with tried-and-true benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, but do not pile on other acids or harsh ingredients such as menthol on top of it. Do not pick at your acne, and do not pop pimples. Self acne surgery pushes bacteria and free fatty acids back into the skin and is a sure way to create a scar.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

How can getting my beauty rest help to prevent acne?
Getting plenty of sleep is important to keep your immune system functioning optimally, which can...
How can I avoid pimples on my buttocks?
The four-step solution to avoid pimples on your buttocks is:Wear clean cotton underwear that can abs...
If I have acne, should I use a headband to keep my hair off my face?
Keeping your hair off of your face is important when you have acne. Your hair contains oils that can...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?