What are some suggestions to control my acne?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
Sometimes acne can be controlled simply by using over-the-counter skin care acne products, but many people dealing with acne are not helped by over these and need a professional product or a dermatologist to help end their acne suffering.

If you are suffering from acne that has not been successfully treated, you may need to seek out acne treatments that are stronger than the average over-the-counter products. There are many different types of acne treatments available. They contain a variety of ingredients and it is important to understand what they are and how they can affect your skin.

Benzoyl peroxide is often used in over-the-counter acne treatments. It is a mild antiseptic that has been used to treat acne for years. While benzoyl peroxide can help treat your acne, it can also be very hard on your skin, drying it out and making it particularly sensitive to the sun. Benzoyl peroxide contains a bleaching agent, so be careful not to get in on your clothing or other items that can be ruined by bleaching.

Salicylic acid is another popular over-the-counter treatment for acne. Salicylic acid can also be irritating and drying to the skin, so it’s important to use it carefully. Use it only on actual areas of skin that are broken out, not all over the skin.

Topical or oral antibiotics are also used to treat acne and can provide some relief. It is very important to remain under a doctor's care when using antibiotics, especially oral antibiotics. The body can build a resistance to antibiotics if they are overused. Staying under a doctor's care can help prevent this overuse.

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

How can I change my diet to help reduce acne?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
From an ayurvedic perspective, the health of your skin is directly related to your diet. In fact, on...
Can I prevent acne by washing my face a lot?
You don't need to wash your face a lot to help prevent acne. The best skin care routine is the one t...
How does the shedding of old skin help to prevent acne?
Jeffrey A. Benabio, MDJeffrey A. Benabio, MD
Old, dead skin clogs your pores. Clogged pores build up bacteria and oils leading to pimples. Benzoy...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?