Should I stop wearing makeup to prevent acne?

Not all types of make-up promote acne, so you don't have to stop using it. Just choose the right type.

Some foundations, concealers, and blushes contain oil that can clog pores where bacteria can thrive, resulting in acne. It's better to use oil-free, water-based brands that are non-comedogenic – that is, they are specially formulated not to plug pores. Wash your face first, apply acne medications if you use them, and then put on your make-up. You may also want to look for the same properties in your sunscreen.

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

Should my daughter with acne wear her hair away from her face?
Wearing her hair off of her face is a good strategy for your daughter to minimize acne breakouts. Ha...
How can I prevent acne?
With a little know-how, you can minimize or potentially eliminate occasional adult acne outbreaks on...
How can I prevent acne and acne scars?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
You can help prevent acne flare-ups and scars by taking good care of your skin:Clean your skin gentl...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?