Should I stop wearing makeup to prevent acne?

Not all types of make-up promote acne, so you don't have to stop using it. Just choose the right type.

Some foundations, concealers, and blushes contain oil that can clog pores where bacteria can thrive, resulting in acne. It's better to use oil-free, water-based brands that are non-comedogenic – that is, they are specially formulated not to plug pores. Wash your face first, apply acne medications if you use them, and then put on your make-up. You may also want to look for the same properties in your sunscreen.

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

Is washing skin twice a day enough to prevent acne?
Washing your skin twice a day may help prevent acne, but there is no guaranteed way to prevent a...
How can I prevent acne and acne scars?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
You can't really prevent acne but you can certainly do some things to make it less severe and to min...
How can I prevent acne?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
If you have acne-prone skin, take a good, hard look at your lifestyle, your stress level, what you p...
How can I prevent acne during pregnancy?
You may not be able to prevent acne during pregnancy, but you can take steps to minimize breakouts. ...