Is washing skin twice a day enough to prevent acne?

Washing your skin twice a day may help prevent acne, but there is no guaranteed way to prevent acne altogether. Preventing acne requires a combination of strategies based on your skin type and condition. You may also need oil-free cleansers and products, along with over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription treatments. Acne is caused by too much sebum (oil) and dead skin cells clogging your pores. Washing your skin helps remove the buildup of oil and dead skin cells. If you need treatment for acne, talk to a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in treating skin, nail, and hair conditions).

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

Will my acne go away now that I'm no longer a teenager?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
One of the greatest myths about acne is that it occurs only in teenagers and that if you can get...
How does the shedding of old skin help to prevent acne?
Jeffrey A. Benabio, MDJeffrey A. Benabio, MD
Old, dead skin clogs your pores. Clogged pores build up bacteria and oils leading to pimples. Benzoy...
Why should people with acne avoid touching their face?
Acne is primarily caused by bacteria on the face, and if you touch your face often it can cause ...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?