How should I wash my face to help prevent acne?

Keeping your pores clean is important to preventing bacterial overgrowth and acne. Pores get clogged with dead skin and sebum production. Sebum is an oily substance that helps to keep skin healthy when made in normal amounts. Overproduction of sebum clogs the pores and creates the perfect environment for bacterial overgrowth. To keep the your pores clean, follow these three rules:
  • Wear oil-free make-up, or don’t wear any makeup at all.
  • Wash your face twice a day, and never sleep with makeup.
  • Use a clay mask regularly to help keep pores open. For the first month, you will need to use a clay facemask daily. After the acne begins to improve, you can do it every other day. As maintenance, you should use it one to two times a week.

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

How does the shedding of old skin help to prevent acne?
Jeffrey A. Benabio, MDJeffrey A. Benabio, MD
Old, dead skin clogs your pores. Clogged pores build up bacteria and oils leading to pimples. Benzoy...
Why should people with acne avoid touching their face?
Acne is primarily caused by bacteria on the face, and if you touch your face often it can cause ...
Can OTC medications help prevent acne?
Susan V. Bershad, MDSusan V. Bershad, MD
Yes, the good news is that several ingredients in OTC acne products actually can help prevent breako...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?