How should I wash my face to help prevent acne?

Keeping your pores clean is important to preventing bacterial overgrowth and acne. Pores get clogged with dead skin and sebum production. Sebum is an oily substance that helps to keep skin healthy when made in normal amounts. Overproduction of sebum clogs the pores and creates the perfect environment for bacterial overgrowth. To keep the your pores clean, follow these three rules:
  • Wear oil-free make-up, or don’t wear any makeup at all.
  • Wash your face twice a day, and never sleep with makeup.
  • Use a clay mask regularly to help keep pores open. For the first month, you will need to use a clay facemask daily. After the acne begins to improve, you can do it every other day. As maintenance, you should use it one to two times a week.

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

Should my daughter with acne wear her hair away from her face?
Wearing her hair off of her face is a good strategy for your daughter to minimize acne breakouts. Ha...
Should I stop wearing makeup to prevent acne?
Not all types of make-up promote acne, so you don't have to stop using it. Just choose the right typ...
If I have acne, what kind of cosmetics should I use?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In recommending cosmetics to my acne-prone patients I try to give them guidelines from which they ca...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?