Can severe acne be prevented?

There are studies that suggest that severe acne can be prevented through early, aggressive treatment of mild to moderate acne. You should consult a dermatologist for more information.
Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

Severe acne can not be prevented but it can be treated. Most patients who have severe acne have family members who have also had severe acne. This inherited tendency for severe forms of acne can not be turned off but effective treatment are available. Dermatologists often turn to the oral medication isotretinoin to treat patients with severe nodulocystic acne. This medication is highly effective and when used according to current guidelines is a safe and effective treatment option. Early treatment is a sure way to minimize severe acne and reduce the chances of acne scarring.

If you take corticosteroids or anabolic steroids and find you have severe acne, they may be linked. You may be able to avoid future acne by switching to a different medication. Talk to your doctor before starting or stopping any drug. You can try to prevent severe acne by washing with a gentle cleanser and avoiding irritants. But because hormonal and genetic factors are also at work, prevention may not always be possible.

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

How can I prevent acne during pregnancy?
You may not be able to prevent acne during pregnancy, but you can take steps to minimize breakouts. ...
How should I wash my face to help prevent acne?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
Keeping your pores clean is important to preventing bacterial overgrowth and acne. Pores get clogged...
If I follow a strict diet, can I prevent acne?
Despite a common belief that certain foods including fatty foods, chocolate and seafood can cause ac...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?