If I have acne, should I use a headband to keep my hair off my face?

Keeping your hair off of your face is important when you have acne. Your hair contains oils that can be transferred to your facial skin if your hair rubs against it. However, if the headband is tight fitting it can raise your risk for a type of acne called acne mechanica, which is caused when acne-prone skin becomes aggravated by heat, pressure and repetitive friction. You might be better off pulling your hair back into a ponytail, if it's long enough, or if it's not, wearing a lightweight headband that isn't too tight. Consult your dermatologist for more tips on minimizing your risks for acne breakouts.

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

Should my daughter with acne wear her hair away from her face?
Wearing her hair off of her face is a good strategy for your daughter to minimize acne breakouts. Ha...
Should I stop wearing makeup to prevent acne?
Not all types of make-up promote acne, so you don't have to stop using it. Just choose the right typ...
How can I avoid pimples on my buttocks?
The four-step solution to avoid pimples on your buttocks is:Wear clean cotton underwear that can abs...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?