If I have acne, should I use a headband to keep my hair off my face?

Keeping your hair off of your face is important when you have acne. Your hair contains oils that can be transferred to your facial skin if your hair rubs against it. However, if the headband is tight fitting it can raise your risk for a type of acne called acne mechanica, which is caused when acne-prone skin becomes aggravated by heat, pressure and repetitive friction. You might be better off pulling your hair back into a ponytail, if it's long enough, or if it's not, wearing a lightweight headband that isn't too tight. Consult your dermatologist for more tips on minimizing your risks for acne breakouts.

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

Should I stop wearing makeup to prevent acne?
Not all types of make-up promote acne, so you don't have to stop using it. Just choose the right typ...
Will my acne go away now that I'm no longer a teenager?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
One of the greatest myths about acne is that it occurs only in teenagers and that if you can get...
How can I avoid acne breakouts from using sunscreen?
Jeannette O. Graf, MDJeannette O. Graf, MD
Look for new formulas that are lightweight, oil-free and non-comedogenic. These may help keep your s...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?