Why should my partner see a doctor if he has delayed ejaculation?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Get a clean bill of health for your partner if he has delayed ejaculation (DE) -- consistent trouble achieving orgasm and ejaculating. Ask your partner to pay a visit to his doctor to make sure that his DE isn't being caused by an infection or a medication that he takes. If he takes selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) antidepressants or other drugs that can trigger DE, his doctor may be able to suggest a substitute without this side effect. Depending on the causes of his DE, he may also want to consult a counselor or sex therapist to work through possible psychological issues that can influence the condition.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

Why is orgasm hard to achieve early in a relationship?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
A woman is less likely to have orgasms early in a relationship. Her body needs time to adapt to the ...
How can I help my partner last longer during sex?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Try positions that emphasize the top of the penis rather than the sensitive underside. Focusing on p...
How can I have an orgasm if I’ve never have had one?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
Just because you haven’t had an orgasm doesn’t mean you can’t have one. Your first orgasm will be ea...
Is something wrong if I don't orgasm every time I have sex?
Most likely, nothing is wrong if you don't have an orgasm every time you have sex. In fact, it's pre...