Why should my partner see a doctor if he has delayed ejaculation?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Get a clean bill of health for your partner if he has delayed ejaculation (DE) -- consistent trouble achieving orgasm and ejaculating. Ask your partner to pay a visit to his doctor to make sure that his DE isn't being caused by an infection or a medication that he takes. If he takes selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) antidepressants or other drugs that can trigger DE, his doctor may be able to suggest a substitute without this side effect. Depending on the causes of his DE, he may also want to consult a counselor or sex therapist to work through possible psychological issues that can influence the condition.

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

What kind of emotional factors can affect my ability to orgasm?
Dr. Marsha LucasDr. Marsha Lucas
Boredom is just one of many things that can get in the way of a great orgasm, says neuropsychologist...
Do orgasms affect men differently than women?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
All men have a point of what we call "ejaculatory inevitability" during sex when they can't hold bac...
Can I have an orgasm without realizing it?
The intensity of an orgasm may vary from person to person, but people usually realize that they're h...
Is something wrong if I don't orgasm every time I have sex?
Most likely, nothing is wrong if you don't have an orgasm every time you have sex. In fact, it's pre...