Why can I not have an orgasm during intercourse?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed

About one-third of women are reliably orgasmic from penetration, another third are sometimes orgasmic from penetration, and the remaining third are never or almost never orgasmic from penetration. This is a statistic that’s been found over and over again in many different kinds of studies and I feel very confident about it. Yet women ask me all the time, “Why can’t I have an orgasm during intercourse?” or, “How can I have an orgasm during intercourse?” Well, the reason you can’t is very likely the same reason most women can’t, which is that intercourse is not a very good way to stimulate the clitoris, and clitoral stimulation is the way to make an orgasm happen.

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

As a man, how can I help my partner reach orgasm?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Sex isn't necessarily better when it's longer. If you're not hitting all the right spots, she's not ...
What is delayed ejaculation?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Delayed ejaculation occurs when a man is able to have an erection but isn't able to ejaculate. T...
How can I help my partner last longer during sex?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Try positions that emphasize the top of the penis rather than the sensitive underside. Focusing on p...
Why is orgasm hard to achieve early in a relationship?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
A woman is less likely to have orgasms early in a relationship. Her body needs time to adapt to the ...